Saturday, December 15, 2012

Kissing the Boundary Between You and Me

This is a very exciting update because this is the first video I've made using my new camera in the attic space!

So, the idea for this video started with an impulse to try to do something with my pseudo-poems.  I found an old window pane and hung it from one of the rafters in the attic, intending to sit behind it and write specific phrases on the glass in red lipstick while the camera recorded the action, and then also record myself speaking the phrases, separately.  I tried that, but it wasn't quite right.

I left the window pane hanging up there, still really wanting to use it, but feeling like maybe writing on it wasn't the way.  The window got me thinking about boundaries--the boundary between me and the camera, myself and the imagined viewer/ audience.  I thought how cool it would be to kiss the transparent surface of the mirror and have the camera record the accumulation of the marks left behind, especially if I was going to continue in the poem-y direction.  I've been reading Eros the Bittersweet by Anne Carson, and it's full of really excellent passages about the evolution of love poems and the dynamics of desire as lack.  Her words are far more deliberate than mine are at the moment, so I selected passages that I felt resonated best with the kissing gesture, and used the sound of my voice speaking Carson's words as a kind of narration. 


No comments:

Post a Comment