Saturday, September 15, 2012

Anagram Thing

Lately, I've been doing this experimental thing where I take a phrase, break it down to its letters, use those letters to form new words, then build new phrases from those words.  It's a challenge, because I can only use words that can be built out of the letters of the original phrase, but I like doing it because it allows me to deconstruct a given thing and create something new out of it.  It becomes this delightful kind of surprise to see what words are possible, and to use them in a way that feels productive, or constructive, like a weird little microcosm of any form of reactionary process that turns creative.

It's extremely time consuming though and requires a lot of mental energy from me.   I am interested in language as a mode of expression/ communication, and words do hold a special fascination for me, but I don't really consider myself a writer or a poet or anything, so doing this feels much more intellectual than intuitive.

Right now, I'm working off of the phrase, "F o r c i b l e R a p e" just because it's so outrageous and because it makes me so angry.  I'd like to eventually also apply this process or system or whatever it is to phrases that I love/ to phrases that inspire me, and see where those go.  But for right now, using this phrase makes me feel like I have some agency, like I have the power to break down ignorant rhetoric and manipulate it into something else, something of my own invention.  Because that's what language is all about, right?  Agency over language is freedom.

I don't know if the reconstituted phrases themselves are all that impressive, but the act of the transformation itself feels significant.  I'm still fooling around with it.  Hopefully I'll have some from other phrases soon.

I'll post some of my favorites so far anyway:

F o r c i b l e R a p e


Par for a force

Feral foal
Race free of briar or bear

I ace
Able pace
Core force of lace

Oracle of RIP

I feel for a fable face,
Rip a pear for a pier,
A corbel place for rebel ire,
Replace a role
For a piece of ol' coal--rare ore,
Price of a floe of ice polar

Rile a friar robe

Real?
Rebel!
Replace!
File for a free piece of peace

Fear lore--fold for bare bile and clear coal



No comments:

Post a Comment