Monday, November 12, 2012

Flashback to February 2012: Anagram- and Marked- Relevant Drawings!

Right now, I'm in the process of turning my mom's attic into a space where I can work.  Today, while I was moving things around and going through stuff, I came upon this series of drawings that I did before I made the Marked photos.

For some of them, I taped the original dating manual images, which I'd kissed, onto sketch book pages.  But I also used words from my dream archive to make phrases that kind of corresponded to that imagery (the palette was influenced by the imagery as well).  I wrote out certain dreams (in marker, pen, or pencil, on black, white, or brown paper), tore up the words, then taped the words in their new configurations onto the background paper (black photo backdrop paper stretched over pieces of cardboard, tracing paper stained with red acrylic, glued onto pieces of cardboard, white sketchbook pages). 

I presented them in class like this:



The comment that most stood out was someone likening the aesthetic to ransom notes (which I liked).

Here they all are, in no particular order:

DON'T SIT IN AWKWARD POSITIONS--and never look bored, even if you are.  Be alert, and if you must chew gum (not advised), do it silently, mouth closed


 none who had appeared ready were


 should I go/ obviously/ go Finish being


 His eyes/ manipulating still/ despite reluctant hands


 smiling disgust/ she sips her own drink


 again Is staring/ truth Follows her/ Finally Enters deep


 it rolls over You Quickly/ I Continue to help silently


 "So have it"/ it was in her mouth


 she wants more

 somehow/ you see now/ and I feel good


 just admit it/ drift


 DON'T BE FAMILIAR with the headwaiter talking about the fun you had with someone else another time.  Men deserve, desire your entire attention


 sorry! fucking her is profoundly better


 pressing pathetically/ crying involuntarily/ face twisted in/ between


 nodding at the swirls of weirdness


 a moment of pretending to shake/ From blood or expression


 should I still fuck him/ he considers me sadly/ attempting to believe/ resist the urge/ go do Nothing instead


 guess what/ teeth/ eager gesture


 his supposed planning folds/ punching urgently


 in Gazing scenarios/ we/ loses to/ him against her/ They stared at them/ a plastic attention don't/ of wonders


 You have people/ I'm resignedly disappointed


 "Do you want me/ what a question/ no/ just no


 CARELESS WOMEN never appeal to gentlemen.  Don't talk while dancing, for when a man dances he wants to dance Page 30


 their dream fell to me/ I kept working


 my notion of you included the idea of us


 the observer looked on/ examining/ trying to understand


 capable of jealousy and panic


 at least broken/ you wanted to fix me


 next stop/ progress


let go of my sense of me


 respect the strength and power behind my position


 forget about his gaze/ we all gaze together


 trying to get disoriented listening to wet little phrases


 to think of me As a delicate tender vulnerable young thing Is to be wrong


 I whispered intensely/ my sheer ferocity ignored once noticed


 evil objects/ too crazy and confused to attract us


 system crash


 intruder with his urgent because


ourselves within we


he hated himself/ so I loved him.

I drove away the one I coveted.


 I wasn't really thinking too hard about what I was doing when I made these, but what feels significant about them now, in relation to the Anagram things is the fact that I was technically using my own words, rather than someone else's, as the starting point for the phrases.  Granted, they were words taken out of context and reconfigured into a new context.  I've been feeling a little insecure about the possibility that starting with a pre-created phrase might be some kind of crutch.  But I guess it doesn't have to be...I mean, I am turning someone else's words into my own words, and the whole deconstructing/ rebuilding process is a large part of what the Anagram things are about right now anyway.  I guess mainly what's important/ what made me want to post these is the fact that this interest in words isn't actually so new, and these phrases that I made months ago have a similar voice behind them, which is...good, I think?  I suppose only time will tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment