Saturday, November 3, 2012

Another Anagram Update

So, after screwing around in photoshop for a bit, I decided these things look way better on a black background--the letters pop more.  I also determined that they'd function well as booklets, so that all of the reconfigurations could be held together under the original phrase.  Oh, and I changed the rules for myself slightly--instead of just using an infinite number of the letters in each phrase to come up with the new phrases, I'm limiting myself to only use the amount of each letter given in the initial phrase, per page. 

So I made a booklet with black pages, using the phrase "curves so comely and sinister," which is a lyric from the Neko Case song "Pretty Girls".  Which means that I had two 'c's, one 'u', two 'r's, one 'v', three 'e's, four 's'es, two 'o's, one 'm', one 'l', one 'y', one 'a', two 'n's, one 'd', and one 't' to work with for each new page.  I arranged the letters on the pages in different ways, so that if you were holding the booklet, you'd have to turn it around in different directions to read it (I want it to be playful).  There's a flow to the phrases throughout the booklet, kind of like a narrative, or a stream of consciousness, which felt appropriate.  I haven't made a cover for it, but I did bind the pages before I added the text.  Scanning the pages doesn't really do it justice, but nevertheless, here they are:

curves so comely and sinister  |  love me!!

 i scream intensely  |  i'm very intenssse

love me; never say it; run.  |  love is your scam

you love me  |  you scorn me

you use me. i care not.  |  you drive me sane

 you created me  |  i created my soul

 visions scare me  |  you listen so i can see

 restless dreams  |  restless void

eternal moodiness  |  rusty doom

 it cures sensory denial  |  it invades rooms

it curtails my  |  very senses

my cunt is nicer  |  inside me so truly

 are you inside me?  |  come on in, i say!

enter me  |  discover...

coy voices amid tresses  |  rustle over mossy dens

muscles strain over coy dins  |  truss

strain over me  |  over you

i'm over you!  |  scram!!

no...stay...  |  sorry...

i'm nervous...  |  i've scorned so many, it's cruel

my clit needs  |  some service

render it  |  nicely

man o  |  r lady

or not  |  i don't assume

my selves: ins or outs  |  clear? no

alive? yes  |  a mess

i love me  |  i love me not

i love me  |  rebeccah ulm 2012

I might try to make an animation of the process for the next one, or possibly mess with the colors of the paper/letters, or test out different fonts.  I like the scale of this one--it's 3" x 4.5", so it's pretty small, but that makes for a nice, hand-held, intimate experience I think.  Maybe I'll experiment with larger pages eventually, but this works for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment